Like 0

MoI Confirms Five Dead In Kabul Hotel Siege

Najib Danish said security forces have so far rescued over 100 people but that the sixth floor still needed to be cleared.
MoI Confirms Five Dead In Kabul Hotel Siege

The ministry of interior’s spokesman Najib Danish addressed journalists early Sunday morning close to the Intercontinental Hotel in Kabul and said so far five civilians have been killed and six wounded, including three security force members, in the ongoing siege.

According to Danish, five floors have been cleared of insurgents and only the sixth floor remains.

However, dramatic footage by TOLOnews showed desperate people trying to escape from the 6th floor of the burning building just after 8am local time.

This comes after gunmen stormed the hotel at about 9pm on Saturday night. By 8.30am on Sunday the situation still had not been brought under complete control.

Heavy gunfire and explosions were heard throughout the night as special forces, including the Crisis Response Unit, tried to end the siege.

Extra security force members were sent in at about 4am and again another batch was sent in at about 7am – including foreign troops.

Meanwhile Danish said that by 8.30 two attackers had been killed and security forces were still looking for at least one more if not two.

He said by 8.30am over 100 guests and staff had been rescued of which 16 were foreign nationals.

He said all those who had died or were wounded had been Afghan nationals.

Najib also dispelled reports of a hostage situation.

Source : Afghan Voice Agency(AVA)
Sunday 21 January 2018 09:36
Story Code: 156724 Copy text available
Your Name

Your Email Address
Your Comment *