Gran Hewad, a spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said on Saturday, that representatives who had attended the meetings on strengthening the regional and global consensus on peace, called on the Taliban to reduce violence so that the Afghan peace process may start.
The ministry said Afghanistan was “in contact” with many other partner countries who were involved in the peace process and had “asked” them to persuade the Taliban to take the “necessary, practical and urgent” steps to reduce violence.
Hewad pointed, that Taliban’s approach to violence seems unchanged as the attacks have continued. In the statistics released by the Office of the National Security Council, the Taliban carried out 284 attacks in the past week across 16 provinces.
The Afghan government considers the Reduction in Violence (RiV) part of the U.S.-Taliban agreement, of the utmost importance, Hewad said.
Last week, Hamdullah Mohib, the National Security Advisor, told NATO Senior Civilian Representative Stefano Pontecorvo, that Taliban violence had been delaying the intra-Afghan dialogue.
Source : Afghan Voce Agency(AVA)
Saturday 11 July 2020 15:35