Afghan Voice Agency (AVA)_Monitoring, According to an announcement by the Ministry of Interior, 10 children died and a number of others were injured in the explosion.
US Special Representative for Afghanistan Thomas West, in a series of tweets called the attack terrible.
“All Afghan children have the right to go to school without fear,” he tweeted, adding that the United States condemns this senseless attack against innocent civilians.
Amnesty International called the blast “disturbing”, and stated it was “yet another reminder to the world that the sufferings of Afghan people are far from over.”
Amnesty International has said that Afghanistan demands the attention of the world and that determined efforts must be made to protect the people of this country and that those responsible for such reprehensible attacks face justice in fair trials.
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) has also said in its response that it is horrified by the explosion.
UNICEF added that at least 288 children were killed or injured in Afghanistan in the first half of this year, including in attacks on schools and educational environments. According to the organization, it is believed that the real figure of Wednesday’s explosion is much higher.
The United Nations Children’s Fund has said that children should never be the target of violence.
The Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs also condemned the blast.
“Appalled by today’s horrendous bomb attack on a school in Samangan, Afghanistan, killing and wounding innocent people and students. These atrocities only add to the multitude of crises in Afghanistan. My thoughts go out to the victims’ families and their loved ones,” Anniken Huitfeldt, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Norway tweeted.
Germany also condemned the explosion, adding that children should be able to go to school without fear and harm.
“We are shocked and saddened by the reports of an attack on a school in Aybak in northern Afghanistan with many dead and injured, including children & young people. Children should be able to go to school without fear and harm. Our thoughts are with those who grieve for a loved one,” German Foreign Office tweeted.
Imdadullah Mahajer, head of the cultural information department in Samangan province, says that an explosion occurred on Wednesday at a religious school called Al-Jihadi in the vicinity of Aybak city, the center of Samangan province.
Mahajer said that students were praying at the time of the explosion.
According to him, 15 students were killed and a number of others were wounded. However, the IEA has put the death toll at 10.
The attack was also widely condemned by IEA officials in the country.
Mawlawi Abdul Kabir, the political deputy of the current government, has strongly condemned the explosion and said that it is against all Islamic and humanitarian principles and an “unforgivable crime”.
“The enemies of Afghanistan and Islam revealed their enmity with Islam with this attack that targeted the students of Quran and Sunnah. I assure that the perpetrators of this crime will not remain unanswered,” Kabir tweeted.
Hamid Karzai, the former president of Afghanistan, has also strongly condemned this explosion and called it against all human and Islamic values.
Abdullah Abdullah, the head of the High Council of National Reconciliation under the previous government, also condemned the incident in a Facebook message.
Abdullah wrote that attacking worshipers, students, religious schools, mosques and places of worship is against Islamic and human values.
The ministry of interior meanwhile stated that the explosion targeted a religious seminary in Samangan’s capital Aybak, killing 10 students and wounding several others.
However, reports on social media indicate that the casualty toll was much higher.
So far no group claimed responsibility for the blast.