A senior White House official has announced that US President Donald Trump plans to issue an executive order on Friday to officially rename the US Department of Defense to the “Department of War,” a change that, if approved, would be reminiscent of the formal military structure before 1949, when the Pentagon operated under that title.
Under the terms of the proposed order, current Secretary of Defense Pete Hegsett and other senior military officials would be allowed to use titles such as “Secretary of War,” “Department of War,” and “Deputy Secretary of War” in official documents and correspondence. However, the full implementation of the change requires the approval of the US Congress.
Trump had previously said in statements that the name “Department of Defense” was too defensive in nature and that it was time for the United States to appear with a more “aggressive” approach in its official structures. He had emphasized that “deterrence power” can only come from being prepared to attack.
Meanwhile, the plan has met with strong reactions from some political figures. Democratic Senator Tommy Duckworth, who is also a war veteran, described the measure as “political, unnecessary and costly” and said that the funds for such projects would be better spent supporting military families or investing in diplomacy and peace.
It is not yet clear how Congress will react to the proposal, but some analysts believe that the measure is more of a propaganda and electoral aspect and that its full implementation is unlikely.