Afghan Voice Agency (AVA): The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) in Houston announced that the incident occurred on Monday, April 8, at the Bridge River Middle School in Houston.
According to the council's report, the three girls were eating lunch in the cafeteria when about 20 other students attacked them.
The attackers surrounded the students and severely beat them. According to sources, a pencil was also used as a weapon of attack.
One of the victims was hospitalized at Texas Children's Hospital for four days due to the severity of her injuries. She is now wearing a medical collar and is still struggling with physical and psychological injuries.
The families say their daughters were attacked for wearing the Islamic headscarf. They believe that hatred and racial prejudice were the main reasons for the violence.
A video of the incident has been shared on social media. In the video, two girls can be seen lying on the ground. However, the school administration has so far refused to respond to the families.
The Council on Islamic Relations said that school officials have not responded to repeated requests from the families to visit and talk.
The administration has not even agreed to move the students to a safe place. In one case, the transfer of a student was approved but later canceled without explanation.
William White, president of the Council on American-Islamic Relations in Houston, called the situation unacceptable. He said that not only were the students targeted, but the education system has also failed to protect them.
He added that these students entered the United States with the hope of safety, but what they experienced was a clear violation of their human rights.
The council called on the Houston School District (HISD) to immediately and unconditionally transfer the three students to a safe place. It also called for an independent investigation into the incident and for all perpetrators to be held accountable.
The Council on American-Islamic Relations called for psychological services to be provided to the victims and their families and for policies to be developed to prevent discrimination and violence in schools.
The attack took place at a time when Islamophobia and discrimination against Muslims in the United States are at an all-time high, according to the council’s annual report, “Unconstitutional Suppression.”
To counter such cases, the council has developed special guidance for Muslim students and their families so that they can defend themselves against discrimination and harassment in schools.